doll's wedding

and other stories
by Chaso (Chaganti Somayajulu); translated by Velcheru Narayana Rao and David Shulman


It's a lesson in how to make your stories everything but what they seem. Wandering, straightforward stories about a simple thing and everything else, too. It's lovely and heart-wrenching.
With an introduction that talks about his style as lacking sentiment and being "threadbare," I found it to be quite a striking and emotional book. As usual, I should have read the blurb later and just judged for myself first, I guess.

It's a strange sort of experience, to read a translation from a language you're familiar with. I found myself constantly translating everything back into Telugu in my head. (The last time this happened was when I was reading the translation of Gulabi Talkies by Vaidehi, but that was written in Kannada which I can hardly understand. I kept translating it into Telugu and Tamil in my head, whenever I felt like a sentence sounded better in either language.) Anyway, I really want to read it in Telugu now. Let's see. 

No comments: