cairo

by G. Willow Wilson

I don't know how to talk about my love for Rumi. The first of his poems I read is called 'Enough Words?'. I was so stunned by it, I could hardly sleep that night. I read it many times over, savoring it, going over the words time and time again. 'Darkness is your candle. Your boundaries are your quest.' There's so much about those lines - I seek comfort in them, I'm constantly confused by them.
This post though, isn't about Rumi as much as it is about Cairo, a graphic novel by G. Willow Wilson. It brings together a few wayward characters together into something that has been going on for ages past. This place where I am right now was circled on a map for me*. It starts coolly enough, and then with one tiny jerk, you fall down a rabbit hole, end up in the Under Nile where you can be spiderman and water defies gravity. It's one of the most beautiful stories I have read in a very, very long time. It's also something I suspect I will read over and over again, and immediately.


*Google tells me this line is Hafiz, not Rumi.

No comments: